Llandovery’s characteristic 4 star hotel
based in the heart Wales.
At the Kings Head we offer guests excellent hotel accommodation, a great choice of local food and drink and a warm and welcoming service. This historic hotel was once one of the main coaching inns in Wales as it was home to The Black Ox Bank and boasts plenty of character.
The Kings Head is based in the centre of Llandovery and is the perfect central location to enjoy Wales and all it has to offer, including outdoor activities, family days out, historic landmarks and plenty more!
The Kings Head is managed by Cariad Ceginau Cymraeg LTD. Renowned for our friendly, helpful personalities we are here to help you make the most of your visit and look forward to welcoming you during your stay in Llandovery, Wales.
The Kings Head Inn occupies one of the sites of the Burage Hoses of the first Castle Borough of Llandovery (early twelfth century) and has been scheduled as a building of historical and architectural interest. Originally a single storey building of pre sixteenth century - probably mediaeval origins - the top half was added in the reign of Charles I, whose head is on the sign.
A stone placed to protect the corner of the building from cart and coach wheels was used by Howell Harris, the founder of methodism in Wales, in the reign of George II, as an impromptu pulpit.
Turning the corner into Stone Street the real of the inn was formerly a separate building, the first premises of the Bank Yr Eidion Du (Bank of the Black Ox) founded by a drover, David Jones, in 1799, proving to be highly successful and was eventually incorporated into the modern Lloyds Bank.
The Kings Head is based in the centre of Llandovery and is the perfect central location to enjoy Wales and all it has to offer including outdoor activities, family days out, historic landmarks, coastal walks and plenty more!
- Walking, including the track up to Llyn-y-Fan Fach where the well known folk tale of “The Lady of the Lake” is derived as well as the legend of the Physicians of Myddfai.
- Excellent Water sports nearby including Llangorse Lake and activity centre, The Gower, Pembrokeshire and Swansea
- Fishing on the Towy, Usk and Usk Reservoir
- Bike Riding in the nearby Crychan Forest and surrounding countryside
- Bird watching including the well known Red Kite Feeding Station nearby in Llanddeusant